October 20, 2011

A midnight phone call

The other night, when we were sound asleep, we got a phone call. It was Kerry's dad. He had just received a call himself, from the transplant team. 

Kerry's dad was suffering from complete renal failure and had been on dialysis for several years. I am not really sure how long, just a number of years.  Anyway, they found him a kidney! He went into surgery the following day and now I am happy to report that his surgery was a success.  He won't know for approx. 2 weeks, wether or not the kidney is functioning correctly, but it seems to be. We are so happy to be able to have more time on this earth with him, but we are sad for the family who lost their loved one.

You know, 2 of Kerry's immediate family members have been the recipients of transplants. His sister received new lungs and now his dad received a kidney.  I never used to give organ transplantation a second thought, ok other than "no, I don't want to do that". Well I have changed my mind. I would really like to be an organ donor when I pass away. Its really one last thing I could do to serve my fellow men, plus I know what it has meant to me personally and to my family.

Anyway, I just wanted to share our wonderful news, and the joy we are feeling at being able to have Kerry's dad with us on this earth for more years!

No comments: