July 31, 2011

Some recipies

I have been learning lots about eating better lately. I wanted to share some recipies I have come up with. Partly to share, and partly so they are written and then I won't forget them.  First is for a salad I made and then had to make again the following day because it was soooo yummmmmyyyy! Keep in mind that this recipie doesn't have amounts because its totally personal preference and according to how much you want to make for your family.

in a frying pan, combine and saute-
cut up chicken (I cut it into 1/2" squares) until its almost done. Season it with garlic salt, onion salt, and your favorite saltless seasoning. I used lowry's 17 seasonings. Then add chopped mushrooms, celery, red (and yellow and green and orange for variety) peppers. Cook until the veggies are as soft or as crunchy as you like them and set aside. Squeeze 1/4 lime over the top. Get as much juice on it as you can.

While you are cooking that prepare the following salad in a bow-.lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, carrots and green grapes. (I also added a bit of arugela, and some other salad greens)

Once the cooked chicken mixture has cooled some, add it on top of the salad and stir well.

I found this dish to have so much flavor that is didn't need any dressing, or very little. It was delicious and nutritious and my family LOVED it, which is a good thing as some of the kids are having an adjustment to the "lower carb" way of life.

The other thing I made recently that I liked was chicken enchiladas.  I was trying to figure out how to make some that would be delicious, use more veggies and be something Kerry could eat. Here is what I came up with.

Filling:
saute mushrooms, multiple peppers (red, yellow, orange, and green) green chilies, blackbeans, celery, and some garlic. Then add canned chicken (broken apart and shredded) and garlic salt, onion salt and pepper, 1 c. cheese (lowfat is better) and some chopped up spinach and set aside.

Sauce:
in a glass measuring cup mix 1 can cream soup (low fat/no fat is better) and 1 cup sour cream (lowfat/no fat is better) and 1/2 c. milk (yogurt would work in place of the sourcream) and stir well.

In the bottom of 2 (8x12) cake pans spread a little of this mixture. Put about 1/2 of this sauce in the filling and stir it well. Then in whole grain tortilla's, spoon some of the filling down the middle and roll the tortilla. Place in the pan. Repeat this until your filling is gone. I made enought for 16 enchiladas (8 in each pan). Over the top of the enchiladas, spread the remaining sauce and sprinkle lightly with cheeze. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. You don't want to overcook this, just heat thru.

Serve with salad and fresh fruit. It is delicious!!

No comments: