July 20, 2011

Another change for the Robertsons. . .

This is not a great pic, but it will have to do. I think they took it before a hike or something. Anyway, the change in the household; Kerry has diabetes. I know that may not seem like a big deal to some of you, and I realize its not something that is going to kill him tomorrow, but it is a big deal to me. I have been feeling overwhelmed by it for a few weeks, at least when I stop to think about it, I suppose mostly because of his dad's health and family history. In her blog, my sister in law, Liahona talked about being crunchy, well we are going to join in that with adjustments for our circumstances. I have been re-reading all my books on eating naturally and eating healthy, and eating for diabetics. I would say that the biggest thing is that we are going to mostly fruits and veggies. Carbs are limited (and I have discovered that was the biggest part of what we used to eat, making this change rather challenging) protein from animals is still a small part of the diet and fats, sugars and refined foods are almost non existent. Its a big adjustment, but so far so good! Kerry is loving it as he loves to eat that way, I am still somewhat stressed as I am not used to fixing so many fresh foods and am learning it requires some planning. So that is life around here. However, all that being said I realize its not a death sentence, just a major change. I sure have had my share of those over the past few years. Ah, life!

1 comment:

Leahona said...

I remember when I had to deal with the dreaded "D" word when I was pregnant with Iyla. It was only 2 months but it was hard for this bread loving mama! But I was able to adjust and I am sure you will too. It's hard at first but once you get the hang of it I be the health benifits will outweigh it all. I will have to do some low carb recipes on my blog for you! I love you and support you in this new adventure you guys are dealing with. I remember cottage cheese and pickles were my saving grace!! Love you!!