May 21, 2011

Learning some interesting things. . .

I don't want this post to be misunderstood, but those of you who are married know that its alot of work, mixed in with everything else. Kerry and I have been discussing some relationship stuff recently, and at the same time, a friend sent a link to "the 5 languages of love" website. It really came at a most opportune time because of these discussions. So we both went on the site and took the quiz. Its kind of an eye opening thing really because aside from the differences we have just by being male and female, we have differences in how we need to be loved and how we express love. I have since ordered the book and the cd's (book for me, cd's for Kerry) But it has also left me wondering how many of you guys have read the book and what kinds of things you have done to improve your relationships and what has worked for you. This is one post I would really love to have some feedback on, especially from those of you, who like me, are dedicated to the institution of marriage!

Here is the link for those who may be interested in taking the quiz too.

http://www.5lovelanguages.com/

3 comments:

Leahona said...

When I was in High school we had a youth confreance based completly on the color code personality book and the love Languages book. It was very neat learning at that age when you are just discovering what real emotions are, to know that expressing them can be so complicated! When Jacob and I got engaged, as you and I have talked about before, we did a lot of talking. And one of the things i felt was important was to read this book together. It was so helpful it getting us prepared for a good, strong marriage. I think the biggest thing I learned was to understand my husbands thought prosess. I got how he felt he needed to express his feelings which helped me appreciate them even more. Knowing the reason behind the gesture, I think, is almost better the the gesture itself. I hope you love the book as much as we did!

Paul N Judi said...

Amber, we have been married 25 years now and we still read and do things to strengthen our marriage. I love the "languages of love" it was very helpful to realize that Paul shows love through service and to understand all the things he really does for me. Just last month we read "Strangling your husband is not an option" from the LDS bookstore. Geared to the women in a marriage but we read it out loud together and it was very inspiring. Just thought you might want to look into it
Judi

OUR CLAN said...

Thanks Judi, I will check it out. I'm all for improving marriage!