April 01, 2011

A book review for Depth of Deceit, by Betty Briggs

Download DepthofDe...jpg (81.5 KB)
This book, Depth of Deceit, by Betty Briggs is the 2010 Winner of the Silver Quill for second place in the Fiction category for the League of Utah Writers Publication Awards.

This book is about a young attorney (Stephanie Saunders) working for a firm in Salt Lake, who finds herself in the middle of a whole lot of trouble. She has a boyfriend, who she is initially unsure she likes, then she finds herself pregnant and unwed and the story continues from there. While she is going thru all of the conflict of finding out your pregnant, being unsure whether or not you want the baby, and the emotional ups and down that would accompany that situation, she must still function at work. She also finds her life spiraling further out of control in other ways after an unfortunate death (sorry, I am not saying who. You have to read the book) She has a client she must represent, and finds there is an attraction there, as well as uncertainty of guilt or innocence. She also has a boss she must work with who she is not sure she likes very well either. The biggest area of sanity in her life comes from working with horses.

When I initally started reading this book, I felt like it was one big soap opera. I felt like the main character was inconsistent, and that drove me crazy. That being said however, as the story went on, she  grew on me. I found myself rooting for her and hoping for a great outcome. I also found myself more involved and trying to figure out who did what, who she could trust and wondering if she would end up with a love in her life or not. All in all, its an enjoyable read and I would reccommend it to anyone who just wants to escape and not have to think too hard about anything but the book.

Here are the links for the authors website and also the site where you will be able to purchase the book


Here is the purchase link for the book: http://www.amazon.com/Depth-Deceit-Betty-Briggs/dp/0965630757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301331128&sr=1-1




Here is the author's site: http://www.bettybriggs.com/






1 comment:

Betty Briggs said...

Hi Amber,

Thanks for taking the time to review my book Depth of Deceit. It is helpful to get a review from a completely unbiased person. It makes me realize the book's strengths and weaknesses and gives me incentive to try harder on the next book. I have to admit that no one has said it was like a big soap opera before, but I guess it could be considered that. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a big soap opera, but in a good way. Thanks again.

Take care,

Betty Briggs