August 05, 2008

Puppies? Nope. . .

Well, we made the decision earlier this year to breed Katie again. Last time she whelped she had an amazing 6 puppies (a big litter for westies, generally they have 2-4). That was 2 years ago. So, she was due, and we kept waiting and waiting. Finally we decided that she must have conceived on the last day she was at the breeders place. Well she still went over that due date by 4 days. This morning at 5:10 am she had a puppy, a cute little girl. We waited for about four hours and took her to the vet because I had not seen her pass a placenta and we thought there were a couple other puppies there. Well big surprise, there were no more puppies. She only had the one. So I must admit that I am disappointed. We were kind of thinking of keeping one, but now I don't know. So here are the pictures.
Hah! Well surprise on us! ! ! 11 hours after her 1st pup and even after getting x-ray's, at 3:40 p.m. another little puppy arrived. I do mean little. I would say she is a runt. We will probably have to watch her closely. I bought a small bottle and some milk replacement as she seems to have an extremely hard time latching on to her mommies large nipples. This little puppy is about 1/2 the size of her sister.

1 comment:

another day in the life of... said...

AM- That is so weird. I'm glad they are here and safe. They look adorable and so small! How fun, can't wait to see them when I come out for Education week...